Saturday, January 24, 2009

Copyright


I sold my first bow scarf on March 28, 2008. I was so excited to have created something that I really loved, and to have others love them too was just wonderful! I never thought that I would need protection, or that I should get a copyright for my work.

When I made my first scarf, I had never seen another like it on ETSY. I checked before I made it. I didn't want to make something that someone had already made, I would feel horrible. What if they had stayed up all night thinking of a unique and adorable scarf to share with the world? What if they had used their last bit of money to purchase the yarn to make the prototype?(I'm being dramatic!)

Luckily, I didn't find another like the one in my imagination. SO I made it, and I loved it. It was so special, my first creation with the gift of crochet lessons from my mother. Yes!!!!.....No.... Now I see them popping up everywhere. Sadness(more drama). But I though it was mine!! Nope! Art imitates art, as well as life. So.....I need a copyright!

To obtain I copyright, I will need $35. Sadly, I don't have $35. If I did have it, I would use it to get gas, food, or pay a bill (half of a bill at least!). So know this, all of you who really want a bow scarf but haven't gotten one (haha!!! you know that you want one!) THE NEXT TWO SCARVES SOLD WILL GO TO MY COPYRIGHT!!! I am not trying to accuse anyone, or start any trouble. I just want to keep my scarves mine. They are still slightly different than the others that I have seen, so I hope that this will keep them in a league of their own.

0 comments: